Home AboutUs

Sunday 22 January 2012

Oilcloth Lunch Bag Tutorial

We predict 2012 is the year of oilcloth, forget the plastic tablecloths we remember as children and acquaint yourself with the new fashionable oilcloth with gorgeous prints.
My love of oilcloth started last summer at the SW Craft Club pop up summer events. I brought 20 metres of oilcloth to cover each table for the event and besides being a protective cover it also needed to look pretty.  



Fast forward to the winter and I have 20 meters of oilcloth gathering dust in my home, I’m all about recycling and upcycling, so I researched the fabric further and what it’s capable of and other than being referred to by lots of different names, I also learn it can be waterproof, it’s wipeable,  it’s durable and I think fun! This Christmas my nearest and dearest received oilcloth lunch bags and they look amazing! Even one of a male friend has asked me to make a manly version for him (see below)

Still not sure? Checked out the latest ranges from Cath Kidson, Boden and Lisa Stickly and you’ll find very pretty bags, in all shapes and sizes, mobile phone holders and aprons etc.
Like I said 2012 will be the year of the oilcloth and here’s how you can get involved. I have to be honest, I’d like to pay homage to Martha Stewart, from where I originally found this no brainer of an idea, for the lunch bag but her tutorial isn’t as detailed as I need it, see below:

Cut main piece 29 1/2 by 8 inches and two side panels, each 12 1/4 by 5 inches.
1. Fold long panel, inside out, into U shape with 5-inch bottom.
2. Make 1/4-inch cut at bottom corners of side and middle pieces so bag folds smoothly. Sew-in side panels, leaving 1/4-inch seam allowance.
3. Turn right side out and top-stitch all around, 1/8 inch from edge.
I’m not sure if you are like me, but I need images or more detail, either way, Martha you were a bit sparse on this occasion.
Below are my additional tips and images to help you to help you to make your own oilcloth bag:









Finished. One waterproof manly oilcloth lunch bag
Here's two I made earlier



...and we found more great examples on Pinterest





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.